Monday, November 6, 2017

Threads: Wales / India artist exchange project

I'm very excited to announce that this Saturday I'll be travelling to India for the first time. I'm undertaking a residency at a wonderful artisan centre called Khamir near Bhuj in the Gujarat region. Alongside fellow textile artists, Louise Tucker and Julia Griffiths Jones, I'll be spending a fortnight visiting local artisans, undertaking some workshops and sharing my work with Khamir makers. Eleri Mills is also taking part in the project (although she travelled to India to undertake research earlier).  Next year, some artisans from Khamir will be coming to visit Wales, spending time in residence at Carmarthen School of Art (where Louise and I work), and Ruthin Craft Centre. We will all then be making a new body of work in response to this trip which will be exhibited in 2018 at Ruthin Craft Centre, The National Wool Museum and somewhere in India as well. This project is managed by Fieldwork Culture LLP, and funded by Wales Arts International, Arts Council of Wales and British Council Wales. Wales.  I hope to be able to make regular blog and social media postings about my time in India, so please do look out for forthcoming news. 

No comments: